Georgetown University , LLM, 1976
Boston College Law School , JD, 1973
University of Pennsylvania, BA, 1970
Steven Paul’s practice focuses on tax law, with particular expertise in affordable housing, partnership law, and equity financing of partnerships and limited liability companies. Steve has more than 40 years of experience providing tax and business advice, especially for partnerships and other pass-through entities. He represents developers, syndicators, and investors in real estate developments using federal and state tax credits and other tax incentives, often serving as special tax counsel and working with other major law firms.
Before joining Klein Hornig in 2015, Steve was a partner and long-time chair of the Tax, Benefits & Compensation department of Boston’s Palmer & Dodge LLP and its successors, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge and Edwards Wildman Palmer. Steve has served as a visiting lecturer in real estate taxation and finance at Yale Law School and as an instructor in the Boston University Graduate Tax Program. He is also a former chair of the Committee on Real Estate of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation. Steve currently serves on the National Housing & Rehabilitation Association's Board of Directors as a result of his leadership in the affordable housing industry. In addition to his law degree, he has an L.L.M in Taxation. Steve has been included in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers listing since 2006 by Thomson Reuters, and in the Best Lawyers in America publication since 2009, for his work in Tax Law.
- Tax credit counsel for the historic rehabilitation of The Waltham Watch Factory in Waltham, MA
- Represented low-income housing tax credit investors and syndicators in 80-20 projects in Newton, Massachusetts and in New York City
- Represented historic tax credit investor in mill properties in Rhode Island
- Represented the City of Boston in the new markets tax credit financing of the former Ferdinand’s building In Dudley Square
- Served as tax counsel to the project sponsors in the acquisition and syndication of Castle Square, Mission Park and the Victoria/Viviendas Apartments, some 1,700 apartments in Boston's theatre district, Longwood Medical and South End Neighborhoods
- Served as special tax counsel to the Worcester Business Development Corporation and affiliates in connection with the rehabilitation of the former Worcester Telegram & Gazette complex, utilizing new markets and rehabilitation tax credits
- 2019 Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Outline," 2019 Edition
- " Massachusetts Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual" (co-author), Data Trace Publishing, 1996
- American Bar Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- National Housing & Rehabilitation Association, Member of Board of Directors (2014-present)