University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD, 2015, Editor-in-Chief, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly
Santa Clara University, BS, 2011, Phi Beta Kappa, Valedictorian
Jessica (Jessie) Cassella joined Klein Hornig in 2018 with prior experience as a staff attorney at the National Housing Law Project (NHLP) where she focused on preserving existing affordable housing in urban and rural communities and enforcing low-income tenants’ rights. She regularly provided trainings, technical assistance, policy advocacy, and litigation assistance regarding complex affordable housing rules and challenges facing tenants in HUD housing programs. At NHLP, Jessie developed strong knowledge of HUD housing programs, and, in particular, the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program. Before joining NHLP, Jessie clerked at the San Francisco City Attorney's Office and at NHLP, and was a City Hall Fellow at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
- District of Columbia
- Represented a mid-Atlantic nonprofit developer in an FHA refinancing and rehabilitation of an existing affordable housing property jointly owned by a tenants’ association.
- Represented a local developer selected by tenants to acquire and rehabilitate an existing affordable housing property under DC TOPA rules and with local financing.
- Represented a local nonprofit owner in the refinancing of an elderly assisted living facility with local funds.
- Counseled a local government regarding its Uniform Relocation Act obligations.
- Counseled a local nonprofit organization regarding federal fair housing laws and workforce housing development opportunities.
- American Bar Association, Member
- California Lawyers Association, Real Property Law Section, Member
- Vice President, City Hall Fellows Board of Directors
- Presenter, “RAD & Operating Subsidies,” Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania, Homes Within Reach Conference – October 2018
- Presenter, “Advocacy and Policy: Making Your Voice Heard on Capitol Hill Day and Every Day,” National Alliance to End Homelessness Conference- July 2018
- Presenter, “RAD Basics,” Novogradac RAD Public Housing Conference- April 2018
- Presenter, “Saving HUD Multifamily Homes,” National Housing Law Project webinar series- March 2018
- Presenter, “Protecting RD Residents and Preserving RD Rental Housing,” National Housing Law Project webinar- December 2017
- Presenter, “Don’t Get RAD-dled: Ensuring Compliance and Best Practices Training Series for Public Housing Authorities on What You Need to Know about the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD),” National Housing Law Project webinar series- December 2017
- Presenter, “Shelter From the Storm,” National Meeting of the Housing Justice Network- October 2017
- Presenter, “Federal Housing Programs 101,” National Housing Law Project webinar- September 2017
- Presenter, “Prepayments and Loan Maturities: Protecting Residents and Preserving RD Rental Housing,” National Housing Law Project webinar- May 2017
- Presenter, “The Future of Public Housing,” National Legal Aid & Defender Association Conference- July 2016