Klein Hornig provides a full range of services to our nonprofit clients on a variety of tax and business issues. We assist with general corporate matters, such as:
- Entity structuring, incorporation, mergers, consolidations and terminations
- Obtaining 501(c) classifications from the IRS, including reinstatement applications
- Identifying unrelated business taxable income issues and solutions
- Board training
- Developing practice and procedure manuals
- Securing property tax exemptions
- Participating in joint ventures, including drafting joint venture policies
Within the context of our real estate practice, our attorneys are skilled in structuring and forming subsidiaries, partnerships, and limited liability companies used by nonprofit participants. We have extensive experience advising nonprofit participants in transactions involving Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, New Markets Tax Credit, and State and Federal Historic Tax Credit.
Our understanding of nonprofits stems from both our legal experience and from our attorneys’ personal involvement in the nonprofit community. Our attorneys provide trainings, speak on panels, serve on boards and committees, and offer their time and resources to numerous nonprofit events and initiatives.